Current:Home > StocksRekubit-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -FutureFinance
Rekubit-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 20:41:13
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,Rekubit as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (141)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- In the San Joaquin Valley, Nothing is More Valuable than Water (Part 2)
- A Kentucky Power Plant’s Demise Signals a Reckoning for Coal
- Power Giant AEP Talks Up Clean Energy, but Coal Is Still King in Its Portfolio
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Summer House Cast Drops a Shocker About Danielle Olivera's Ex Robert Sieber
- Hailey Bieber and Kendall Jenner Set the Record Straight on Feud Rumors
- How Much Does Climate Change Cost? Biden Raises Carbon’s Dollar Value, but Not by Nearly Enough, Some Say
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- A Kentucky Power Plant’s Demise Signals a Reckoning for Coal
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Q&A: One Baptist Minister’s Long, Careful Road to Climate Activism
- Compassion man leaves behind a message for his killer and legacy of empathy
- Bindi Irwin Honors Parents Steve and Terri's Eternal Love in Heartfelt Anniversary Message
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Pence meets with Zelenskyy in Ukraine in surprise trip
- WHO questions safety of aspartame. Here's a list of popular foods, beverages with the sweetener.
- DC Young Fly Speaks Out After Partner Jacky Oh’s Death at Age 33
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Activists Gird for a Bigger Battle Over Oil and Fumes from a Port City’s Tank Farms
Where Jill Duggar Stands With Her Controversial Family Today
Country singer Kelsea Ballerini hit in the face with bracelet while performing
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Where did all the Sriracha go? Sauce shortage hiking prices to $70 in online markets
Even With a 50-50 Split, a Biden Administration Senate Could Make Big Strides on Climate
Overstock.com to rebrand as Bed Bath & Beyond after purchasing its assets